Friday, June 24, 2016

"Don't You Trust Me?" asks God

Image Source
"Don't you trust me?"

Those words just pierced my heart.

I was praying crying out to God. I had been praying over and over for the same prayer request and God's response was not to my liking.  I wanted this trial to be over. I was tired. I was weary. I wanted my will to be done, not God's.

I knew in my heart God was not done with the situation that more things had to happen before God answered my prayers. I kept seeing an image of unbaked doughy bread. And I kept hearing from God, "I'm not finished yet, be patient and let my perfect will be done."

Impatiently, I kept repeating the same prayer request, like a child on a long trip, "Are we there YET?"

Then God spoke again to my heart, "Don't you trust Me?"

Ugh.

Image Source
God, the creator of the Universe, the all-powerful, almighty, holy, all-knowing, ever-present, not-bound by time, and infinitely wise God, asked me if I trust him.  Nice.  It showed right where my heart was at -- it was not in a good place.

Then I thought about it: God is so infinitely BIG, yet he is concerned with our little punny prayer requests that next month will be water under the bridge and we'll be wailing to him over another thing.  Or at least I will.

Yet, He loves us enough to send his only Son as complete, not in part, but the whole payment for our sins as he died for us so we can be reconciled to a holy and perfect God.  And God has done all of this so he can ignore our comparatively miniscule prayers.


No, that doesn't wash with scripture. Scripture which is truth tell us that:

Image Source
God promises to never leave us, nor forsake us (Heb 13:5).

God promises to work all things out for our good and his glory (Romans 8:28).

God hears our prayers and will answer them in his perfect time not ours (Psalm 27).

God ways are higher than our ways, as the heavens are higher than the earth, as are his ways higher than our ways (Isaiah 55:9).

He is our God (Psalm 48:14).

And yes, all we need to do is trust him, pray, and rest in his sovereignty to work all things out for good.

My response now is, "Yes, God, I trust you."

Image Source

3 comments:

  1. An excellent question as we all can become impatient with rewards we expect. I am curious though if your vision of the doughy bread changed to a beautiful loaf of bread when you became trusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the dough was still uncooked, but I was changed. I was now patient, trusting God to finish the baking to perfection, not wanting to rush the process. God changed me. He didn't change the situation. He is a wise, all-powerful, all mighty, and sovereign God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can SO relate, being so impatient when praying for an unanswered prayer. I'm thankful that God's timing is perfect even though it is frustrating as we wait.

    ReplyDelete